Thursday, July 23, 2009

Exotic Instant Meals – Also, Dieting

I'm a sucker for the “International” aisle at our local Wegman's grocery store.

I love checking out all the stuff we don't normally see in other supermarkets. Jammy Dodgers and Wine Gums from Britain. Naan, sauces and spices from India. Neat little instant meals from Asia, like this one:






These Nong Shim Neoguri noodles will kick your butt, with their yummy, spicy hotness. Usually, I won't buy instant noodles because of all the sodium, but these are a special treat. I've never had noodles that were this spicy, except in restaurants. Soooo good! Just drink lots of water.

I also tried this microwave curry from India recently:







Comes in a sealed silver baggie, and looks awful when you pour it into a bowl. After a few minutes in the microwave, it's really quite good. Tastes like vegetarian chili. Not super-spicy. On the plus side, the sodium levels are less insane than the noodles (610mg vs. 1040mg).

Neither of these are too terrible in the fat and calorie department, provided you only eat half the package. It's not hard to do if you're watching what you eat, but still want something different and yummy.

Which brings me to the next thing. My diet.

I've put on close to 20 pounds in the last 6 years – although some people would say I was too thin before anyway. I still hate that my old clothes don't fit, and now that I'm getting older, the extra weight only makes my jawline saggier.

Anyway, I'd be happy to lose 10 at this point. I've tried so many diets. Low-carb was the last one, and I didn't lose a pound. I felt great getting off all the carbs, but even with working out 3 days a week, I lost nothing.

Seems the only thing that works for me is “eat less and exercise”.

Yeah, I know. DUH.

I'm trying better portion control, along with healthier, lower fat and calorie foods. And exercise, of course. I picked up a box of Slim Shots to help curb my appetite:







They're supposed to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet, and don't contain any weird drugs. They look like little coffee creamers, and you take one with breakfast, one with lunch, then eat a healthy dinner.

I read quite a few reviews, and the biggest complaint was that they tasted terrible. I didn't think they were heinous - definitely odd, but not bad enough to stop me from using them. Kinda tasted the way an old, plastic water bottle smells. With vanilla.

Supposedly they're made of a patented blend of natural palm and oat oils, which somehow trick you into feeling full longer. I've been using them for the last 4 days, and it does curb my appetite. We'll see. It's still too soon to tell. I could wake up next week and find they do nothing.

Besides, I'm a stress eater. When work gets crazy (which is most of the time recently) I want snacks. Lots of them.

So I'm reading a book on stress eating, but I won't say too much on that now. I'll report back once I've finished it, and can reasonably apply anything I've learned.