Monday, July 13, 2009

Fist Of Deth


Photo credit to Dilbert



Another big weekend.

I have put in 40 hours at work since Friday evening.

I'm still tired, and have no tolerance for buttheads at work that don't listen to the resident expert, which is me.

On Sunday, I got a call to check if there were any problems in our application's logs. It seems another app support group who's software talks to mine, saw an intermittent error. Butthead insisted that the last time it happened, it was a code problem on my side.

Well, here's the thing. We haven't had a code change in weeks. Server was trucking along with no issues.

So I ask if he's traced the transmission to see if there's data missing. Because, dude, that's what your error means. Data. Missing.

Of course he didn't, because he ASS - U - ME D that it was us. Didn't look any further. It took an act of God, and lots of threats from me, to make him finally do it. And guess what? It was data missing on his side.

Two hours of my life I'll never get back.

Today, a different butthead asks for an approval for a code change. Emergency fix, you know. Has to be done tonight. If I'm putting my name on an approval for a change to code, I'm sure as hell going to make sure due diligence was done.

Turns out he never tested part of it. I won't go into the specifics, but it wasn't done as proper procedure, and he knew that. Told him to go back and test. He decided to try and push it through anyway, and went to someone else for approval, and got the smack down. Thankfully, this other person realized that butthead was pulling a sneaky.

Told butthead to load the new code for testing (in a test application). He made another analyst do it.

Lazy fu(k3r.

I don't normally have this problem with people. I don't know why, exactly, these two give me crap. Although I have a suspicion that it has something to do with them belonging to a culture that still buys and sells women, and treats them as property.