Monday, July 6, 2009

I Am Sick. Also, HersheyPark

Apparently the eye goo issues from 2 weeks ago has now become a full on head/chest cold. The problem here is that I generally don't go to the doctor unless I'm dying.

The last time I went to my family doctor for a “real” problem was 2 years ago. I let my cold go on for the better part of 3 months, and ended up with bronchitis. You'd think I'd learn. So now I'm trying to get an appointment with a new doctor – old doctor just never did it for me – and they're out to lunch.

I don't understand that. Every doctor's office I've ever dealt with has mandatory lunchtime at noon, and no one to cover except the answering service. The answering service doesn't want to talk to you unless you're having an emergency, in which case they'll tell you to call 911. What's the point then? So how difficult is it to stagger the lunches for coverage? Say one person takes lunch at noon, the other at 1pm. I mean, geez. I don't even take lunch half the time. Many working people can't even call the doctor unless it's at lunch.

Anyway.

During one of my less ill days last week, we went to Hershey Park. I haven't been there since I was 16 and it was pretty fun.

Of course, the biggest plus here is that they had numerous clean bathrooms. You know you're old when you count the quality of bathroom as your number one reason for having a good day.

A few things were disturbing though.

We got there around 10:30am just after the park opened. After a 2 hour drive, I needed to pee. Found the first bathroom and was thrilled it was clean. Mostly. It had obviously just been cleaned owing to the scent of bleach and disinfectant. And someone's morning constitutional, apparently. Dude, couldn't you have gone at home? It's was 10:30am already, for criminy's sake.

While we're on that subject, it's rather amazing to me that the ladies who use these public bathrooms are such pigs. I've mentioned this before
here
.

I saw one woman throwing balled up wads of toilet paper under her stall into the next one. Is it that difficult to aim for the pot? I mean, it's practically a bullseye.

By the end of the day, I didn't expect the toilet's to be spotless, but this was ridiculous.

One stall had a big, steaming, heap of brown, about a foot in front of the toilet. How does this happen?!? Are here that many people out there with explosive diarrhea? Is it an epidemic I'm not aware of? Should we be in touch with the CDC?

I feel sorry for whoever had to clean this up. I hope they had a biohazard suit and disposable mop.